Menu

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Review: Deep Down


Last night I finished up reading, Deep Down, by Karen Harper. This wasn't the worst book that I have read, however, it wasn't the best either. The story takes place in Deep Down, Kentucky surrounding the wild ginseng that not only grows back among the mountains, but is highly sought after, even by the Chinese.

Jessie's mother, Mariah, is murdered while out counting the ginseng. Jessie was sent away after a mishap that happened years ago between her and Drew, the now sheriff of Deep Down. There are different possible suspects in this thriller and more questions are raised when a second dead body is discovered.

Though this takes me briefly back to my home roots of Kentucky, the development of the characters could have been better. I almost got the feeling that Jessie was more concerned about Drew (the Sheriff) then her mother. Jessie came off as a weak character to me. However, it was a quick read and out of curiosity, I had to know if the killer was a person or if it was the legendary Siberian Ginseng Hunter.

No comments:

Post a Comment