Menu

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Book Crossings

In searching for blogs to follow, I stumbled upon a neat site that I just have to share.

Book Crossing. It reminds me a lot of a catch and release system. The concept is this: you finish reading a book and you can either pass it on to a friend or leave someplace like a doctors' office, coffee shop, hairdresser. The finder has a book to read and goes to the site to journal briefly about that book. Before you release a book, the site offers material you can purchase(bookmarks, stickers, bookplates), each book you register on the site is assigned a number and BTW, you can copy/past a blurb to put in that book before dropping it off into the wild. This number is what the finder enters in on the site. Ever remember seeing $1 bills stamped with "Where's George?" something like that, well this about the same.

You can also create wishlists for books and it also appears that some members are willing to trade books, so in that case, you would mail your book out at your expense.

I ordered some stickers and bookmarks and got a one month membersip for $5 to see if I need any of the paid subscriptions or if I can make do without those. Membership information can be found here. The only reason I'm posting a link is because it took me a little while to find the member info; it wasn't easy. I think the idea is really neat, interactive and fun.


No comments:

Post a Comment